Monday 28 January 2008

Imaginary Snapshots - New Shots

“I decided to leave behind my camera and only take imaginative snapshots. Later on friends called me crazy when hearing that I had traveled to all these places, Brussels, Gent, Maastricht, Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, Prague, and also places they had never heard of like Palanga, Montemor-o-Novo, Inari, Pärnu, Kaunas, Liepaja, Pyhäjärvi, without taking any photos. I mentioned a rather practical reasen. Imaginative Snapshots are easier to carry. In fact I believe in slides without image or spoken words without recording more than in what is visible and proofable – because of their moment of appearance – their presence, in the centre always a blind spot, as presence itself cannot be grasped – and the search for traces afterwards, on the blank screen, in the auditorium. Let’s have a look…”

No comments: